Digital transformation sounds akin to something out of Robocop. And, in some ways, it is. Just as OminCorp fused flesh with technology to birth a police officer of unrivalled efficiencies, small businesses can protect and serve core processes by digitising them.
Think of cave drawings. Now think of your office printer. This is digital transformation writ large. But, to really transform your business, we need to think beyond the end product. Digital transformation applies to the processes within the cracks of your business.
And it’s more than keeping up with the Joneses. Digital transformation isn’t about pimping out your office with the latest tech for bling’s sake. It’s about identifying physical processes that can be cost-effectively digitised.
Transforming small business
For small business, digital transformation can be … well, transformative. Take a scan of your office now. Look past the skyscrapers of documents and imagine a world where you and your team have a virtual office accessible at your fingertips.
Such a world exists. In fact, many small businesses are making the journey there right now. Their chosen choice of transport to this brave new digital world? Document management.
And the trip of digitally automating document workflows is more than worth it:
- Massive cost savings including decreased print related expenses and lower transaction times
- Automation speeds up the routine elements of everyday tasks thereby speeding up worker productivity
- Digitisation allows documents to be validated as part of a process meaning less errors and time invested in reworks
- Digitisation makes your business instantly reactive
Turning paper into pixels
From customer communications, contracts, accounts to internal documents, paper cuts don’t always have to hurt. Digital transformation sees to this. Cloud-based document management systems mean many paper-intensive tasks can be digitised.
They serve as a central repository for important documents. This moves you away from the rigidity of physical documentation. It means no longer wasting resources sifting through stacks of folders to find a single document.
Digitised paper processes give your small business:
- Greater efficiency: electronic workflows are more efficient than paper ones
- More accuracy: automatic error flagging/correction ensure consistent accuracy
- Easy retrieval: file away the cabinet and retrieve digital documents via keyword or ID number
- Easy storage: scan and securely store documents for ease of access
Checklist to get you started
When it comes to the digital transformation of your document workflows, the next question is: where do you begin? Run through this checklist and ask yourself the following:
- How do your workers function in today’s mobile environment? Do their devices have the same set of capabilities to work on documents inside and outside the office?
- How does your business send out key documentation such as sales contracts?
- How can you speed up documentation processes to become more agile?
- How can you ensure trackability and security of documents (in particular, confidential ones)?
For small business, digital transformation of workflows is cost-effective. In fact, the aim is to save you time and money. So, assume Robocop’s famous stroll, and head on over to the nearest pile of documents in your office and tell them: “dead or alive, you’re coming with me!”